The event at the EU Parliament was aptly called
Two panels of speakers united a remarkable list of individuals and organisations:
- Dimitrios Papadimoulos MEP for Greece and Vice-President of the EU Parliament spoke from the floor;
- Mrs SAKELLIADOU Zoi, Office of the EU Anti-Trafficking Coordinator, European Commission [12:25 until 28:41]
- Mrs VONKEMAN Andrea, UNHCR Brussels Office
- Mrs NANOU Katerina, EUROCHILD campaign leader
- Mrs POULI Ioanna, UNICEF, Brussels Office
- Mrs McNEILL Sabine Kurjo, Web Publisher of the Association of McKenzie Friends and Petitioner 1707/2013
- Mrs SCHEFFER Elisabeth, Legal expert, Sweden
- Mr NIKOLAIDIS Giorgos, Head of Institute of Child Health, Greece
- Dr STAVRINIDES Panayiotis, Assistant Professor in Developmental Psychology-University of Cyprus
- Mrs CHRISTIDOU Melpo, Social Worker at THE SMILE OF THE CHILD, Greece.
However, the emphasis was on problems rather than solutions – but then there are far too few people who know about the problems!
The very pleasant surprise was the very well informed contribution by the Policy Analyst of the Child Trafficking Office at the EU Commission.
My nine minutes are on
The slides that I presented are here.
The full seminar is available in Greek on
In the context of Brexit, our solution now is to insist on the implementation of the Resolution accepted by a Plenary Debate in April – to Safeguard the Best Interest of the Child and Children’s Rights ACROSS THE WHOLE OF EUROPE.
I published this email to the President of the EU and the leaders of the political groups, as they have called for an extraordinary Plenary Debate.
- the recommendations by national and international reports were IMPLEMENTED;
- the gap between good intentions and bad decisions were to narrow and disappear!…